Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

7 Fashion Rules to Break

My biggest pet peeve is when someone tells me that I can't mix black and brown, or wear tights with my open-toed shoes.  If it looks good, who cares about those silly, outdated fashion "rules".  Below are some of the more well-known "rules" that I think everyone should break, along with examples of how I have done this.

Don't Wear Black With Brown (or Black With Navy)


Black and brown is hands down my favorite combination.  I think it instantly makes an outfit more casual and inviting.  It's the same with black and navy (or all three together!).  I actually have a belt that is both navy and brown, so it's perfect for this kind of look.  Just throw a black belt around that little black dress, or wear some black tights with a navy skirt and a brown top.  It's simple, and easy, and is an instantaneous "I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard" look.

Don't Mix Prints


Print mixing has been huge lately.  I don't know what started it, but it's pretty darn cool.  I must admit, though, that I'm not pro at it.  The easiest way to break into mixing prints is to start with stripes.  Any kind of stripes, really.  Either neutral, or bold, like my pink and white striped sweater.  Pick a second print, in an opposing color scheme (so if your first item is bright, pick something neutral and vice versa).  Viola!  Another helpful hint is to use small prints, like polka dots or thin stripes.

You Have to Match Your Shoes to Your Purse


I actually only have a couple of outfits that I've posted where I'm actually wearing a purse.  I really don't pay much attention to whether my purse matches my outfit.  I should, I know.  But all of my purses are pretty neutral, so they go with just about everything I wear.  I do, however, almost always match my belt to my shoes.  That's one of those rules that I just cannot break.

Don't Wear Horizontal Stripes

(They make you look fat!)


Horizontal stripes have long been dismissed because they supposedly make you look fat.  Well, I think that's crap!  I love stripes!  All kinds of strips!  I'll wear striped shirts, sweaters, skirts, or dresses.  I think that, if done well, stripes can even be slimming.

Don't Wear Closed Toed Shoes With Tights


This is a rule that I don't often break.  Not because I don't want to, I just don't have a lot of open-toed shoes.  I also apparently very rarely wear them on this blog.  However, I still think it's absolutely okay to wear open-toed shoes with tights.  The trick is to fold the seam of the tights underneath your toes so that it doesn't poke out the front of the shoe.

Don't Wear White After Labor Day


Okay, I was actually surprised to have this many photos of white to show you guys.  I don't feel like I wear white very often, but it's apparently more often than I thought.  I know you all can't tell when these photos were taken, but I assure you they were all taken between Labor Day and Memorial Day.  The key with white is to pair it with darker colors.  One of my favorite dresses is that white 60's nightgown.  Both times I wore it, I paired it with either dark colored tights or a dark colored sweater.  If you winterize the rest of your outfit, even really summery whites will look wintery.

Don't Mix Metals


Mixing metals is still a hard one for me, to be honest.  I mostly wear gold (almost all of my belts have gold hardware) so wearing silver feels weird.  Doesn't that sound silly?  It really is.  The best way to mix metals is to wear a piece with both silver and gold in it.


See?  Breaking the rules is easier than you thought right?

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. That's terrific I had no idea about all this until I stumbled upon this blog post of yours over here. I also would like to ask you something considering your blog. Do you happen to know how to defend your personal reflections from being used without you knowing it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...